Login

 the badge of the cameronian scottish riffles

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
(Nobody Attacks Me With Impunity)

Cameronian Scottish Rifles

1689 - 1968


Click HERE to read and download the chapter on the Cameronians and the Jacobites from the 1940's book 'Douglasdale'

 CAMERONIAN SCOTTISH RIFLES

 

ANNUAL COMMEMORATION
DOUGLAS
MAY 15th 2011
 
9.30am Regimental flag raised at the Douglas Victoria Bowling Green

10.00am Morning service in St Brides Church, Braehead, Douglas

2pm Conventicle at the Disbandment Cairn beside Castle Dangerous

4pm Buffet and social afternoon at Douglas Victoria Bowling Club
(ADMISSION BY TICKET, £3.00 AT THE DOOR)
 
Click HERE for road map and HERE for street map to Douglas Victoria Bowling Club
 
Click HERE for Douglas street map to St Brides Church
 
Click HERE for map to Disbandment Cairn
 
(arrow on maps denotes the location)

For more Cameronian (SR) & Family Members Organisation information click HERE

 


Cameronian Sunday
Annual Commemorative Service

SUNDAY 16th MAY 2010

9.30am
Regimental flag will be raised at Douglas Victoria Bowling Club
Breahead, Douglas
10am
Service - St Brides Church
Braehead, Douglas
1pm
Douglas Heritage Museum
Presentation of a Japanese Samurai Sword to the Douglas Heritage Trust from the family of the late Mr Fred Patterson who was gifted this sword after the hostilities in Burma in 1945
2 - 3pm
Conventicle - Cameronian Disbandment Cairn, Douglas
Lead by the Rev Robert Cleland
There will be a buffet at Douglas Victoria Bowling Club at the conclusion of the days events - £3
 
Click HERE to view / buy Carluke and Lanark Gazette photographs

Cameronian Sunday
Annual Commemorative Service

cameronian sunday 2009 - copyright of the carluke and lanark gazette picture by lindsay addison

The Annual Cameronian Commemorative Service will be held on the 17th May 2009.
The order of the days service events has yet to finalised.
The tradition over many years included a church service in St Brides in the morning, a break for lunch, an after noon service at either the Cameronian Cairn or the Earl of Angus Statue and ending with a social gathering.


Cameronian Sunday
Annual Commemorative Service
SUNDAY 11th MAY 2008
St Brides Church, Douglas - 10am Service
 

 

THE CAMERONIANS (SCOTTISH RIFLES)
ALL RANKS REUNION
 
There will be a reunion for all members of the Regiment on Cameronian Sunday 2008 to mark the 40th anniversary of the disbandment of the 1st Battalion in addition to commemorating the raising of the Regiment, followed by the annual commemoration ceremony at the disbandment cairn.
 
Cameronian Disbandment Cairn, Douglas - 2pm Service
 
cameronian sunday 2008 - copyright of lindsay addison
To view Carluke & Lanark Gazette pictures from this years anniversary service, click HERE

To read an excerpt from the Carluke & Lanark Gazette newspaper from this years anniversary service, click HERE

For more articles from the Carluke & Lanark Gazette click HERE
 
Click HERE for home video recording (YouTube)

13th May 2007
 9.30am Cameronian Flag raised at Douglas Victoria Bowling Club
10a.m. Service at St Brides Church
1.45pm Gathering at Cameronian Cairn
2pm Service
 
Cameronian will be laid to rest during Conventicle
cameronian jim ballantyne. picture copyright of lindsay addison
Cameronian Jim Ballantyne
© of Lindsay Addison
 
There will be a particularly poignant moment during next month's annual Cameronian Conventicle at Douglas.
As in past years, former members of Clydesdale's 'own' regiment, their families and friends will gather at the place of its founding over 300 years ago to commemorate the decades of service the regiment gave the country and to remember the literally thousands of Cameronians who died in action in wars the world over.
On May 13, the Conventicle will see one more 'Cam' finally laid to rest, the ashes of former Cameronian Association secretary Jim Ballantyne, who died last year, will be scattered during the annual Conventicle ceremony at the special regimental memorial cairn erected in the Douglas and Angus Estates.
The ceremony will take place at 2pm, preceded by the traditional morning commemoration Service at St Bride's Church in Douglas, starting at 10am.

Carluke & Lanark Gazette 26/4/07

Anniversaries
2nd August 2007
60th Anniversary of the Cameronians (SR) receiving the Freedom of Lanark
There will be a Sunday morning service held on the 5th August 2007 in the St Nicholas Church, Lanark
Cameronians Sunday 2008 will be celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Disbandment of the 1st Battalion

 
Presentation to
Douglas Heritage Museum
June 2006
presentation to douglas heritage museum june 2006
© of Lindsay Addison
Douglas Museum Sunday 4th June 2006

Opening address was by Mr Alan Halliday Vice Chairman of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and Family Members Organisation. He welcomed all of those attending and what a pleasure it was to be there for the presentation of treasured family Cameronian items for safe keeping and donation to the museum.

Rifleman John McMinn donated a framed map of the 7th Battalion (Scottish Rifles) progress across Europe during WWII. Also a book on the Normandy Landings in June 1944.
cameronian activities map oct' 1944 - may 1945
© of Lindsay Addison
Sergeant John Todd Royal Logistic Corps presented service documents of his grandfather who was medically discharged in 1915 after being wounded in action he then reenlisted in the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and was discharged again when his previous discharge was noted. Also included was the 1915 equivalent of the family “allowance book” used by his grandmother at Govan Post Office in Glasgow

Louise, Carolyn and Dorothy Ellis donated their late fathers Battle Dress Jacket and webbing pouches. The jacket bore the insignia “MOUNTAIN” indicating the training undertaken prior to the assault on Walchern Island out side Antwerp in Belgium.

Captain Andy McArthur TD RLC gifted a WWI Cameronians (SR) New Testament bearing the name Company Sergeant Major Roger Stewart dated 1915, a WWI Cameronians (SR) Christmas Card and a hand embroidered ladies handkerchief with the Cameronians Star dated 1940.

The closing address was taken by David Skidmore Chairman of the Douglas Museum. He spoke of the gratitude of the Museum for the donations and how the Museum benefits from the generosity of the donors.
The Cameronian flag was raised on the flagpole at Douglas Victoria Bowling Club at appox' 9.15am. The morning service was held in St. Brides Church at 10am.
In the afternoon the service moved to the Cameronian Cairn in the Douglas & Angus Estate grounds near Castle Dangerous, where there was another service at 2pm. 

Cameronian Sunday
Annual Commemorative Service
14th May 2006
 
 cameronian friends gather 2006
Cameronian friends gather
© of Lindsay Addison
 
cameronian flag bearer reflects before the 2006 sunday service
A moments reflection before the service
© of Lindsay Addison

cameronians on parade 2006
 Cameronians on parade
© of Lindsay Addison
 
the 2006 service begins with the pipes and flag of the cameronians
 The service begins with the pipes and the association flag
© of Lindsay Addison
 
c mccready lays wreath at the cameronian cairn 2006
Colin McCready lays the Cameronian wreath
© of Lindsay Addison
 
local mp d mundell lays a wreath at cameronian cairn during 2006 service
David Mundell MP lays a wreath at the Cairn
© of Lindsay Addison
 
retiring chairman a berry at cameronian sunday 2006
 Andy Berry, retiring chairman of the Friends and Family Association,
proudly oversees the service parade
© of Lindsay Addison


cameronian disbandment cairn
Cameronian Cairn
© of Lindsay Addison
 
The carved stone plaque on the Cairn reads as follows...
HERE ON THE 14TH MAY 1968
WITHIN A MILE OF THE SPOT WHERE
THE 26TH CAMERONIAN REGIMENT
WAS RAISED BY THE EARL OF ANGUS
ON 14TH MAY 1689.
THE 1ST BN CAMERONIAN (SCOTTISH RIFLES)
HELD A CONVENTICLE
AND LOWERED THE REGIMENT FLAG
TO MARK ITS DISBANDMENT
ON ORDERS OF THE GOVERNMENT.

ERECTED BY
LANARKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL
IN TOKEN OF ITS HIGH REGARD
FOR THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICES
OF THEIR COUNTY REGIMENT
DURING NEARLY THREE CENTURIES.
THIS MONUMENT WAS UNVEILED BY
COLONEL THE LORD CLYDESMUIR
C.B. M.B.E. T.D.
LORD LIEUTENANT OF LANARKSHIRE


the badge of the cameronian scottish riffles
Cameronian Scottish Rifles 
Earl of Angus Statue
Inscriptions around the base of statue read as follows -
 
JAMES
EARL OF ANGUS
SON OF
THE MARQUIS OF DOUGLAS
BORN 1671
KILLED AT THE BATTLE
OF SEINKIRK
WHEN IN COMMAND OF
THE CAMERONIAN REGIMENT
1692
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE TWENTY SIXTH
OR
CAMERONIAN REGIMENT
RAISED BY
THE EARL OF ANGUS
WAS FIRST MUSTERED
NEAR THIS SPOT
MAY 14 1889
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS STATUE
TO COMMEMORATE
THE TWO HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY
OF THE RAISING
OF
THE SWENTY SIXTH
OR
CAMERONIAN REGIMENT
WHICH BEGAN
IN 1881
THE FIRST BATTALION
THE CAMERONIANS
(SCOTTISH RIFLES)
WAS ERECTED
1892
THOMAS BROCK R.A.
SCULPTOR
cameronian sunday - pickets posted
 Cameronian Sunday
© of Lindsay Addison
 
THE 26TH FOOT, OR CAMERONIAN REGIMENT
was raised on 14 May 1689 in Douglas from the ranks of the Covenanters, taking its name from one of the most famous of their number, Richard Cameron, 'The Lion of the Covenant’.
The Covenanters had fought for - and won - the right to follow their Presbyterian faith and discipline when the Stuart kings tried to impose the Episcopal form of worship upon the Scottish people. Initially organisation of the Regiment was modelled more on a Presbyterian congregation than on normal military lines, and the men were puritans in faith and life.
David Brockie - Cameronian

In the following 279 years the Cameronians gave distinguished service in ever major campaign undertaken by the British Army and in 1881 they joined with the Perthshire Light Infantry to form The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). After a series of cutbacks in defence expenditure, it was decided to disband the only remaining regular battalion of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).
 
Cameronians set off from Addison Avenue on their last march
After weeks of rehearsals on Addison Avenue in Douglas, the Cameronians are set to march off for the last time to their disbandment parade on 14th May 1968.
1968 Cameronian Disbandment Conventicle, Douglas
March past in the Estate grounds1968 disbandment service  
 A treetop view of the disbandment ceremony.

On 14 May 1968 a Conventicle was held and the Regimental flag lowered for the last time. The event is recorded on a plaque opposite the ruins of Douglas Castle.

The Earl of Angus statue was erected to mark the bi-centenary of the raising of the Regiment. It also commemorates the death of the Regiment's first Colonel, the Earl of Angus, at the Battle of Steinkirk (Flanders) in 1692. On 17 May 1992 it was given by the Cameronian Trust into the care of the National Trust for Scotland.
National Trust for Scotland
 
Cameronian flag & Cairn 2005
 Cameronian flag flighs proudly above the disbandment Cairn
© of Lindsay Addison
Cameronian Sunday office bearers & Cairn 2005
Office bearers at the 2005 service
© of Lindsay Addison

Cameronian Sunday service at Earl of Angus monument 2004
The 2004 service at the Earl of Angus Monument
© of Lindsay Addison

Dutch visitors & Cameronians at Cairn 2005
During 2005, a group of Dutch visitors payed tribute at the Cairn
© of Lindsay Addison

 
Cameronian Links
Army Museums (Cam's page)




The Cameronians - Scottish Rifles 






Ceremonial Flags (Cam's page) 


Clan Douglas Society (Cam's page)  


The Edinburgh Military Tattoo (Cam's page)


Glasgow Sculpture (Cam's War Memorial)


The Glasgow Story (Cam's page)


Glesga Pals (Cam's page) 


The Long Long Trail (Cam's page) 


LoveToKnow (Cam's page)




Warpath.orbat.com (Cam's page) 


THE CAMERONIANS AND THE RECLAIMING OF SCOTLAND'S REVOLUTIONARY TRADITION: A Response to 'Discovering the Scottish Revolution 1688-1746 


WW1 photo's (Cam's page)


Cameronian on guard
Do you know who these fine Cameronian legs belong to...
and where are they standing ?
Please let us know by email, guest book or feedback via this website.
  


Images below are the strict copyright of Lindsay Addison
Click on the images to enlarge.
2002 Carers of the Cairn
2002 Carers of the Cairn
Colin McCready, Jim Kane, Alan Halliday, George McBain and Robert Dowdles
Cairn service 2002
Cairn service 2002
2002 Standard Bearers
2002 Standard Bearers
Cameronians 2002
Cameronians 2002
Ashes Ceremony
Ashes Ceremony
The ashes of fellow Cameronian, Leading Tipper Sgt Jimmy Wilson were spread at the Cairn during the 2002 service
Friends Gather
Friends Gather
Cameronian Sunday 2005
Catching up on the year gone...
Catching up on the year gone...
Cameronian Sunday 2005
and a time for stories and contemplation
and a time for stories and contemplation
Cameronian Sunday 2005
Flag is raised in sight of Castle Dangerous
Flag is raised in sight of Castle Dangerous
Cameronian Sunday 2005
Service parade
Service parade
Cameronian Sunday 2005
A wreath is layed at the Cairn
A wreath is layed at the Cairn
Cameronian Sunday 2005
Cameronians ... one and all. From far and wide they annually congregate to commemorate.
Cameronians ... one and all. From far and wide they annually congregate to commemorate.
Cameronian Sunday 2005