Login
Heritage & Tourism
 
 

Dae ye Mind?

Dae ye mind on Taylor's Coalyard

The station at the West

Dae ye mind on Cotton Houses

Welfare Ha' an' aw the rest

Sanatorium an' Gas works

The sawmill at Newmains

There was a British Legion Ha'

Sadly nane o' them remains'

 

Dae ye mind on Davie Taylor

Driving bus and ambulance

An' a' the time conversin

Wi' his lans and' backward glance

An' Joe Bairner took his lorries

Tae the Outer Isles nae less

While Frank Malone wi' stretcher

Never failed us to impress

 

Dae ye mind on Jock McCullochs's

Morning rolls an' strawberry tarts

Adam Kay who deftly shorn oor heids

John Gold a man o' many parts

Dae yi mind on ither merchants

Billy Graham, George Sinclair

Willie Paterson, McBain an Fell

An' Charlie Dobbie butcher rare

 

Dae ye mind on a' the journeymen

Like brothers Bannatyne

Jimmy Kirkhope an' Bill Clarkson

Alan Cameron painter fine

Dae ye mind on chalk and inkwells

Slate pencils at the school

Dae ye mind on Stitt an' Harvie

An' Mitchells playground rule

 

Dae ye mind on district nurses

A breed noo getting rare

There was Robertson and Graham

A well beloved pair

Dae ye mind when a' oor doctors

In the village had their hame

There was Somerville, McFeat an Croall,

Scott, Gardiner, Addison an' Kane

 

Dae ye mind on local Bobbies

Aitken, Prattis nae sae blate

That skelpit lug an' warning word

Were mair than adequate

Dae ye mindf Jimmy Gordon

Pouring' pints in Heather Inn

There was Wilson at the Cross Keys

An' Wull Purdie art'tiie Sun Inn

 

Dae ye mind on Sabbath mornin's

When folk gaed tae the Kirk

Tae hear fae gentle Salmond Smith

Sine Hardie nane would shirk

Dae ye mind o' trusted Bankers

Hugh Moorcroft an' Louis Dean

When Jenny was the Postie

Bill Telfer postmaster keen

 

Dae ye mind the Townhead garage

Wi' John Weir at the door

Whilst pumping oot the petrol

Wi' sarcastic wit an' more

Dae ye mind o'joiner Marchbanks

O' fashion Tam was fond

An' Walter Scott the Forester

Fly casting on the pond

 

Dae ye mind on Alexander

John Stitt, the Shankly pair

George Reid an Willie Harvie

Whose gardens a' bloomed fair

An' Tam Wharrie wi' his barrow

Kept the streets sae clean

The Scaffies wi' their muck cairt

Were every Monday seen

 

Dae ye mind on wash hoose bilers

An mangles sair tae ca'

An squares o' paper hung wi string

On every toilet wa'

When a' we had were coal fires

Tae keep awa the cauld

If you admit tae mindin' these

Like me yir getting auld

 

by Alexander Addison

Douglas


 
aerial view of old douglas
Old Douglas (conservation area ) showing the
Stable Lake ( first pond ), top left, and the A70, top right
© A Brown

Cameronian Scottish Rifles
 
See Cameronian SR page
 
 cameronian disbandment cairn
Cameronian Cairn © of Lindsay Addison 

Castle Dangerous
 
castle dangerous, douglas

Castlemains
 
castlemains, douglas

Church
 
Old St Bride's Church dates to the late 14C. The Chancel survives as a ruin from this period while the tower was built in 1618. The church houses the tombs of the Douglas family and was renovated in the 1880s on the orders of the Earl of Home. The clock is said to have been gifted by Mary, Queen of Scots.

st brides clock workings
 
Douglas’s fine old clock on the spire of the equally fine old St Bride’s Church, is possibly the oldest working clock in Scotland.

As far as it is known the workings are the original and having had a new wheel piece replaced in the last 100 years. The bell ropes are of coarse renewed when required.

After an inspection by two Ministry of Works officials some years ago, they commented how the pendulum was added after 1565 and that in their opinion the “roots” of the pendulum were probably connected to the clock.

The clock, famous for its good timekeeping through the centuries, chimed three minutes BEFORE the hour in accordance with the Douglas motto “Jamais Arriere” …never behind.
 
old st. brides church, douglas
' Mausoleum of the Black Douglases '
 
This ruin was once the parish church of Douglas. The remains consist of the choir (housing the altar) and the south aisle of the nave; both late 14th century in date, with a clock tower added in the 16th century. The clock, dating from 1565, is probably the oldest working in Scotland. The choir was re-roofed in the 19th century.
Douglasdale was the original power-base of the ‘Black’ Douglases. Modest landowners in the 13th century, they gained enormously through their support of Robert the Bruce during the Wars of Independence with England in the early 14th century. By 1400, they were the most powerful family in southern Scotland. But this position brought them into conflict with the Stewart king, James II, and in 1455 they were overthrown.
Their castle at Douglas was finally destroyed by fire in 1755, but a tangible reminder of them still exists here, for the parish church became their mauso­leum. Three fine wall tombs survive in the choir, together with memorials from more recent times.
 
Douglas Heritage Museum will be delighted to welcome visitors.
 
St Bride's as it may have looked in the 16th century
 
st brides tomb coat of arms
"Jamais Arriere"
Coat of Arms on the wall of St Bride's underground tomb
 
Tombs below old St Brides Church
St Bride's tombs © of Lindsay Addison


The Dogs Grave
 
Not far from Castle Dangerous, overlooking the flood waters near by, in amongst some trees is a grave to two dogs, Stracathro and Spider. Now ageing, weathered and more than a little forgotten, it stands no more than a few centimetres high and about a metre long and half a metre wide.
 
The Dogs grave stone
 
Below are the fading inscriptions on the stone.
The words on the Dogs grave

Monuments
 
The Earl of Angus statue was erected to mark the bi-centenary of the raising of the Regiment. It also commemorates the death of the Cameronian Regiment's first Colonel, the Earl of Angus, at the Battle of Steinkirk (Flanders) in 1692. On 17 May 1992 it was given by the Cameronian Trust into the care of the
National Trust for Scotland
Earl of Angus monument, Douglas
James Earl of Angus © of Lindsay Addison
 
Inscriptions around the base of statue read as follows...
 
JAMES
EARL OF ANGUS
SON OF
THE MARQUIS OF DOUGLAS
BORN 1671
KILLED AT THE BATTLE
OF SEINKIRK
WHEN IN COMMAND OF
THE CAMERONIAN REGIMENT
1692

THE TWENTY SIXTH
OR
CAMERONIAN REGIMENT
RAISED BY
THE EARL OF ANGUS
WAS FIRST MUSTERED
NEAR THIS SPOT
MAY 14 1889

THIS STATUE
TO COMMEMORATE
THE TWO HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY
OF THE RAISING
OF
THE SWENTY SIXTH
OR
CAMERONIAN REGIMENT
WHICH BEGAN
IN 1881
THE FIRST BATTALION
THE CAMERONIANS
(SCOTTISH RIFLES)
WAS ERECTED
1892
THOMAS BROCK R.A.
SCULPTOR

 
 Crest on Polish monument, Douglas
 
  Polish Memorial Garden, Douglas
Polish Monuments and Memorial Garden
 
WHEN GERMANY INVADED FRANCE IN THE SUMMER OF 1940 THE POLISH SOLDIERS WHO HAD FLED FROM THEIR HOMELAND WERE EVACUATED TO BRITAIN.
MANY OF THEM WERE WELCOMED TO THE VILLAGE OF DOUGLAS, WHERE THEY SETTLED INTO VILLAGE LIFE AND MADE LONG-LASTING FRIENDSHIPS.
Polish Monument manuscript
USING SOME OF THEIR MANY TALENTS, THE POLISH SOLDIERS CONSTRUCTED THREE MONUMENTS AS REMINDERS OF THEIR TIME IN DOUGLAS.
THE MONUMENTS WERE SITUATED IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE VALLEY.
IN 2002 THE MONUMENTS WERE BROUGHT TOGETHER ON THIS SITE SURROUNDED BY A MEMORIAL GARDEN.
 
 
To the left is a copy of one of two small manuscripts that were discovered during the resiting of the monuments. They were concealed in time capsules within the monuments themselves. On each they signed a message of friendship and goodwill to the people of Douglas.
 
 
  
 
 

Douglas Heritage Museum
( St Sophia's Church )
Douglas Museum ( St. Sophias )
 
Open 2 - 5pm Saturady and Sundays only until end of September
Bells Wynd
Douglas
ML11 0QH
Tel - 01555 851243
 
Unveiling of restored Covenanters Banner, Douglas
Unveiling of the restored Covenanter banner 21/6/2003

 


Douglas Castle
The Legacy of William Le Hardi Douglas

 


( PDF document can be downloaded )
 
T H I - Heritage Lottery Fund ( HLF )
Heritage Lottery Fund homepage
( PDF document can be downloaded )
 
 
( PDF document can be downloaded )
 
Aerial view of Douglas centre
Douglas village centre showing Main Street and A70
© A Brown